Sunday, March 7, 2010

Web cam lawsuit

I found the lawsuit against the school district that used web cameras to track down missing computers pretty intriguing. I could see both sides of the argument. On the one hand the school district has put a lot of money into these computers to not use some sort of safety measures in protecting their investment. On the other hand, I see the families point of view where it could be looked at as spying. I think the moral of this story is to be up front with your students, parents and the public. When things are kept in secrecy is when there is problems. Personally as a parent I would have been fine knowing they would use these cameras if the computer was stolen, but I would not be okay with it if they did not inform me of it.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your opinion. It's pretty much a no win situation, but I think the school could have avoided much of the "attack" had they not kept the feature a secret. I don't have children but I would be okay with this function if I knew about it. I mean, they're giving kids a laptop, of course they need a way to keep tabs on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that I would have been fine with the web cam too IF the school would have been upfront about it. Unfortunately lawsuits are not good for anyone in the school. Well...maybe for the fmily if they win, but the costs of lawsuits often outweigh the benefit.

    ReplyDelete